The corps was designed to be used inside for the dispensing of fresh water. With mask handles on either side and a mask at the base where there would have been a small tap coming from the mouth. Hand painted with flowers and garlands.
France c. 1760.
In 1732 the Abbé Charles Maurice du Bouzet de Roquépine, Baron de Samadet, installed a workshop on his land following a Royal bill dated 25th March 1732, authorising the manufacture of faïence. Thus was created the 'Manufacture Royal de Fayence'. He had a monopoly forbidding any other production in the area & this was continued until 1782 contributing to the factory's remarkable prosperity and reputation. This was the golden age and it was short lived as the manufacture passed through several owners and production ceased in 1840, hardly more than 100 years after it's commencement. After it's closure the site was converted and became a market for farm animals.
HEIGHT: 36 cm (14¼")
WIDTH: 36 cm (14¼")
DEPTH: 17 cm (6¾")