Tel: +44 0 20 7610 6783
NEW ARRIVALS
REF: 4869

PAIR OF 19TH CENTURY TOLE ARGAND OIL LAMPS CONVERTED TO ELECTRICITY
A pair of green and gold painted 'quinquet' lamps, the shaft in the form of a vase, the scrolled handles held by medallions surmounting palmettes, raised on a circular pedestal sitting on an octagonal base.
Louis-Philippe period, France c. 1840
Shown with 18" gathered silk shade available separately.

HEIGHT TO THE TOP OF THE BULB HOLDER: 54 cm (21¼")
DIAMETER: 12.5 cm (5")
HEIGHT TO THE TOP OF THE SHADE: 77 cm (30¼")

The 'Quinquet' lamp is named after Antoine-Arnoult Quinquet, a Parisian pharmacist who introduced the Argand lamp to France in the late 18th century. Compared to earlier oil lamps it burned brighter and was more efficient in it's combustion of the candle wick and oil requiring less trimming of the wick.

£5,200

© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 1999-2023